Karting News Briefs
All manner of karting news from here and around the world...
- EVENT - A race series for people using Yamaha J engines is set to run at Lismore, commencing February 12. The series is open to drivers from all clubs. "We are aiming to bring karting back to a more reasonable cost, by limiting the amount of tyres (max of 3 sets for the entire season) available to use throughout the year" organisers posted on social media. "Karters in the series will be utilising the Yamaha KT100J, an engine that can be picked up for less than $500". The series will offer both Light and Heavy classes and in each there will be a 'B' division (or those who just want to have fun) and an 'A' division for those who wish to be a bit more serious.
- RULES - Karting Australia has issued another addendum regarding tyres for the opening round of Pro Tour. Micro Max and Mini Max classes must ONLY compete on the “WHITE” barcoded Mojo C2 tyre (identified by the ‘White’ barcode on the tyre wall) as per below. The “GREEN” barcoded C2 Tyres will NOT be eligible for this event.
- CALENDAR - Race dates for Alice Springs in 2017:
- KART WINNER - Who is the lucky new owner of the Arrow kart that was raffled at Oakleigh's Junior Top Guns round on Saturday night? KA4 Junior Light driver Kacey Mann! (pictured below with Oakleigh club President David Bell).
- EVENT - Double-header at Port Mac:
- CLUB / TRACK - The new surface is down on the track extension at Albury Wodonga Kart Club. The track remains closed for the moment as there is still a lot of work to finish the project, such as fences and tyre barriers. Looking good!
pics - AWKC
pic - Infocus Designs
- EVENT - Six-round Outlaw shootout:
- CHARITY - Flying laps for the Flying Docs! 10-year-old Steven Tsesmelis is racing to raise money for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. The Cadet 12 karter will endeavour to cover 1000 laps racing at kart tracks across Victoria and is asking for donations - per lap, per meeting, or upon completion. "I am grateful because I live 5kms from a hospital" he is quoted on Facebook. "I’ve had a couple of close calls with my asthma but I’ve been lucky due to the distance. Kids in the country aren’t so lucky. That’s why the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) is amazing. They help kids out in the country receive the same care as I do. So I am helping support the RFDS by sharing their message in 2017 - Distance Doesn’t matter, Life Matters!" You can pledge online at everydayhero HERE.
Above: Steven in the Flying Doc liveried kart at Oakleigh's Junior Top Guns (pic - Pace Images)
- SUPERKARTS - Further information on the SKA National Series. "Superkarts Australia will commence 2017 with a mega superkart weekend at Sydney Motorsport Park on March 4th-5th" SKA's Phil Silcock wrote. "The race weekend will consist of SKA National Series Round 1 for the 250 and 125 Gearbox National classes, and we now also proudly announce a separate on-track race program for the SKA Rotax125NGB and Stock Honda Nationals. More good news for superkarters is that SKA has again been able to lower competition costs after negotiations with race promoters and circuits. SKA NATIONALS ROUNDS for a low $475 entry fee including covered pits with power!!"
- PERSPECTIVE - not sure who created this, but it's true.
- EVENT - Pro Tour launch dinnner. You must book! No tickets at the door.
- DRIVER/TEAM - CRG has announced Spanish teenager Ayrton Fontecha Martinez has joined the factory tream for 2017. The entry will be in collaboration with Sportkart, led by Carlos Gil. Ayrton will race OK-Junior in the WSK and CIK-FIA races. He's recently been shining in Spain in Junior X30, having come through the Mini 60 and Cadet categories.
pic - CRG
- INDUSTRY - Nicola De Cola has joined Birel ART. The Swiss is strengthening the development and promotion of the rental kart division of the Italian company. He has worked for various manufactureres over the years. "I am delighted to be able to count on Nicola De Cola’s experience" said Ronni Sala, President of Birel ART. "I have long enjoyed his technical skills and personal qualities. He has an extremely broad knowledge of karting and its evolution." De Cola and Sala will represent Birel ART at the Offenbach show on 28th and 29th January.
pic - BirelART
- WINNER - Congratulations are in order for Australia's Scott Howard. The Queenslander won the DD2 Masters class at the 2017 Rotax Invitational Race at the Speedway PLUS Kart Circuit in Sepang, Malaysia on the weekend.
pic - Rotax Pro Tour / Facebook
- INDUSTRY - Parolin has appointed a new Technical Director. Loris Pezzato has joined the Italian manufacturer, bringing 30-years of experience at national and international level karting (four European and two World titles). After some time with formula cars, he decided to go back to karting: "This is my real passion, and I feel attached to the karting environment" he said. In addition to their own chassis, Parolin manufacturer on behalf of several other brands.
pic - Parolin