Karting News Briefs
latest updates and information...
- AUCTION WINNERS - Victoria Lopes and her team were the winning bidders in CDKC's “First Drive on the Track” auction. Victoria invited good buddies Joshua Buchan and Cody Burcher to share the experience. Despite the dusty conditions, word on the street is that times were substantially faster than the old surface with not a bump in sight.
pic - CDKC
- TAG: YEAH, NAH - Patrizicorse posted an interesting statement on social media recently:
- "Tech Question & Answer: We have had numerous people ask us why Patrizicorse does not contest TAG competition at an Australian Kart Championship? We feel TAG at AKC level (not club level) is not a reflection on chassis performance and is highly determined on engine performance varying from track to track. Therefore, given that we don't import an engine homologated for TAG competition in Australia, we feel the extra expense and time needed to test the 3 engines available is time better spent developing our own chassis and team. We prefer to win and perform on what we see as an equal playing field i.e. X30, KZ, KA1-2-3-4 and KA12. For more info you can contact us by phone or email. 07 5530 1583, email@example.com"
- AiM OVAL GRIP - A new release of Firmware (1.24.40) has allowed a new data recall section, designed for oval kart speedway and dirt kart racers, to be deployed on MyChron5. In addition to Best Laps with Max & Min Speed and RPM, the new feature plots Grip values, a flash analysis for each track sector and even a Replay page to review your laps. "To enable this function, first update your Race studio 3 software with MyChron5 updated firmware and update your MyChron5 via wireless connection" AiM Sportsystems Australia advise. "To enable this function in your MyChron5, go to Menu > System Settings > General Settings and change Road Racing to Oval Kart Racing". Further information and access to the User Guide is on the AiM Sportsystems website HERE.
- EASTER HOURS - Ringwood Kart Centre will re-open at 9am on Tuesday, but will close at 1pm for a customer evening at Oakleigh. RKC is closed over Easter (Friday:closed,
- 2018 KA RULE CHANGES - Rule change requests are now open for the 2018 Karting Australia season. KA has invited clubs and industry suppliers to submit their requests, which need to be made by May 30.
- KA's "New Rule / Rule Change Request Form" is HERE
- Karting Australia's rule change policy is HERE
- MORE LITHGOW - Here's the WIN News TV coverage of the new surface break-in at Lithgow. As of today (April 14) the circuit is open to practice for all karters.
- ITALIAN SUPPORT - The Greens watch the Reds. Tony Kart factory team keep track of the F1s while they work on karts at the WSK Super Master Series round.
pic - Tony Kart
- EXPRIT UPDATE - Exprit has updated the brand's website, which now contains new information and photos of the latest Exprit products. Visit the new site: www.expritkart.com
- STICKERED UP - Well done to Victorian Cadet 12 racer Oscar Maloney, killing it with his KartSportNews stickers :)
- EASTER HOURS - IKD wish everyone a safe & happy Easter. IKD will re-open at 8:30am Tuesday 18th April. IKD wil be closed on:
- 14/04 (Good Friday) Closed
- 15/04 (Easter Saturday) Closed
- 16/04 (Easter Sunday) Closed
- 17/04 (Easter Monday) Closed
- TOOWOOMBA CLOSED - Toowoomba Kart Club advise the track will be closed over Easter due to a requirement by Local Council. "The Track will be closed during the Easter Weekend, includes Good Friday, Saturday, Easter Sunday and Monday. Thank you for your understanding. Happy Easter and may your eggs all be Chocolate Ones."
- RICCIARDO UPDATE - The Ricciardo Kart website has been updated - find all the info, dealers and details you need about the Ricciardo Kart line at www.ricciardokart.com
- TAINE TV - Production has finished on the ABCME feature series "The Ultimate Goal". One of the programs is based around Victorian karter Taine Venables, who is an Ambassador for Deaf Children Australia. Taine was filmed at Todd Road last month. The show is going to air on ABCME on Saturday 29th of April at 5pm.
- AKC TEAMS & MANUFACTURERS - FA Kart has moved to the lead in the KA Manufacturers' Championship ahead of Kosmic, both imported by DPE Kart Technology. Meanwhile, Patrizicorse has extended its lead in the Teams Championship after Geelong's Round 2 of the Australian Kart Championship.
- DIRT TRIFECTA - Desert to Coast, three race meets across the Easter long weekend:
- EVENT - Old karts will be in action at the Southern Go Kart Club for the Bolivar Historic Grand Prix on May 5 to 7. "Don’t be fooled by their age, some of these kart and engine combinations would shame some of the modern machinery we race today" the club's Publicity Offiver, Mario Storti, informed KartSportNews. "This isn’t just a show and shine, rev limited, Sunday drive either! Drivers will be pushing these examples of kart history to the limit in the top 10 shootouts to show just what these karts are still capable of."
- VIDEO - Highlights from the Geelong AKC round:
- TELL US! - Have there been developments at your track? Email us a pic and some details so we can show it all off on KartSportNews! See our Contribute Page.
- DATE SWAP - The venues for rounds 3 and 4 of the Victorian Country Series have been swapped. Round 3 on May 21 is now at Portland and round 4 on July 16 is now at Wimmera. The change was required due to a major motorcycle event at the shared Wimmera facility that would have made accommodation difficult to find and hindered track access. Organisers are hoping for 200 entries at the upcoming second round at Cobden on April 23.
- PRO TOUR - Entries are now open for Round 3 of the 2017 Rotax Pro Tour at Ipswich. Entry will close at midnight on Sunday 30th April and no late entries can be accepted. Click HERE to download the Supplementary Regulations. Event page on the Rotax Australia website is HERE.
- EX TEAM KARTS - Patrizicorse is making it a happy Easter for customers chasing a near new kart. "Take advantage of our ex race team used karts (Ricciardo and Birel-ART) fitted with brand new IAME X30 engines. HUGE SAVINGS. If you are interested reserve your kart by emailing Info@patrizicorse.com
- EVENT - Double Direct (Saturday Anti-Clockwise, Sunday Clockwise) Spirit of ANZAC @ Gladstone:
- Smarten up your kart - bang some KartSportNews stickers on it! They come in packs of 10, are already contour cut, posted free within Australia and are racer ready (a clear gloss laminate protects the inks from petrol and cleaners). Click HERE.
- VINTAGE - Website dedicated to the 2017 Vintage Kart Prix: www.vintagekartprix.com
- HEART STARTER - The third round of the Defibrillators for Sporting Clubs and Facilities Program is now open. Victorian sports clubs can apply for a new defibrillator and potentially save the lives of participants, volunteers or spectators who suffer a sudden cardiac arrest. Applications for the current round of the program must be submitted by 11:59pm on Wednesday, 3 May 2017. More information, eligibility criteria and access to the application is HERE.
- PRIZED PIZARRO - John Pizarro featured in the local Parkes news last week after being inducted to the Australian Motorsport Hall of Fame. “It was totally unexpected,” the 72-year-old told the site. “Never did I think I would qualify for something like this, it’s a fair compliment for a bush bunny.” Read the full interview and access the photos HERE.
- INDUSTRY - Once it became public that the MAXSpeed Group and BRP-Rotax were ending their 6-year USA distributor relationship, Kart360 spoke with MAXSpeed's Richard Boisclair. MAXSpeed will soon close its doors for good and what was once an illustrious business in the karting industry will be become a memory. To read Kart360's interview, "The Richard Boisclair Exit Interview", click HERE.
- EVENT - Compete for a special rosso piatto at Numurkah's annual title meet next month:
- EVENT - Newcastle Champs, round 2:
- EVENT - Whyalla City Titles:
- EURO NUMBERS - The CIK-FIA report that entry numbers have increased on last year for both OK and OK-Junior classes in the upcoming European Championships. "In total, these two CIK-FIA European Championships are enjoying an increase of almost 40%, with OK having almost twice as many as in 2016" the federation report on its website.
"This year is set to be a strong one for international karting" said Kees Van De Grint, Vice-President of the CIK-FIA. "I am delighted with the success of the OK and OK-Junior categories and in particular at the CIK-FIA European Championships. With 74 Drivers involved in OK and 71 Drivers in OK-Junior, we are heading for an exciting season, especially as "Wild Cards" are going to add to the grids as well. It has been a long time since we have seen such a crowd. This is a very positive sign for the future of karting as a whole.
Unfortunately, this is not the case for the CIK-FIA European KZ Championship. At one point we were concerned about a cancellation, due to a insufficient number of entries. It is needless to emphasise that I was not very happy with this. Thanks to the combined efforts of the CIK-FIA, the promoter WSK Promotion and some teams, we are able to announce that 21 Drivers registered for the entire Championship. It is important for manufacturers that KZ continues to exist. This is the area reserved for professional Drivers who actively contribute to the indispensable development of the equipment. We need to discuss the future of this cutting-edge category with all parties involved in order to find viable solutions together."
- EASTER HOURS - Velocity open Saturday!